One Pattern Seven Bloggers #5: Finished!

So here we are, at the very end of One Pattern Seven Bloggers, and I'm delighted to report that I have successfully completed the project! Thank you Sam - All things quilty...and sewy - for being the mastermind behind this idea and for seeing enough potential in me to ask me to join in.



Brief recap:

For those of you who don't know, the idea behind One Pattern Seven Bloggers was for us to take to take this BurdaStyle pattern and put our own spin on it, in four weeks. For anyone wanting to look back at how we all got on, the schedule was as follows:





Lessons learned:

I found out a lot about myself during this project. Probably stemming from the fact that I'm an only child, I usually like to work alone and at my own pace. However, working to weekly deadlines and not wanting to let others down, really helped to keep me motivated and on track. There were times when I wanted to quit and probably would have if I was working alone – the bodice took about three muslins to get right and the collar was definitely a challenge to draft – but there was no way I could let the other girls down. My dress is by no means perfect, but it's definitely wearable with a belt. I'm particularly proud of it, as it was practically self-drafted because the BurdaStyle pattern came without skirt pieces, I had to re-work the bodice A LOT and I drafted the collar. I also managed to use fabric solely from my stash, so that was a bonus!

Anyway, without further ado here are some pictures, which were only possible due to the sun's decision to grace us for an hour or so yesterday:




Close up of my collar, which was drafted using Casey's excellent 30s scalloped collar tutorial. I think it really makes what would otherwise be a very plain dress.




I also wanted to do things properly, so I top stitched my scallops and under stiched my neckline...are you impressed?


Not that I'm obsessed with Casey or anything, but I also used her method of inserting a 1940s-style side seam zip.


I also lined my bodice, which has made this my neatest self-made dress on the inside.


Check out how the other gorgeous girls' dresses came out:

Rachel - My Messings





23 comments:

  1. Ooooh pretty! I especially love the collar and how you have used contrasting fabric - love it! The two fabrics look great together, I agree the collar
    makes the dress. Your zip insertion is very neat too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Marie! It came out great! that lining is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! The collar is adorable! :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Marie, it's just beautiful on you! Your choices in fabric are lovely. I am not sure where your imperfections are, but to me the dress looks great and suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute dress! I love the floral collar.

    I like working alone and at my own pace too ... I always thought it was because I *wasn't* an only child and never got to ... my husband is an only child and is just the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Marie!!! I'm jealous of that collar. It looks very nice and neat. I''ll have to try this tutorial. Well done you. Ans the dress fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love the colour you chose and the collar looks fantastic. Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Your dress is gorgeous! :) And I'm just so excited you used the collar (and zipper! ;) tutorial too--I love the way it looks with the dress. So pretty--bravo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty. I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marie, your dress turned out brilliantly! Purple looks fantastic on you, and your collar with the contrasting fabric looks great. I am very impressed you did a side zipper - I wasn't game :-) It has been fab doing this project with you, Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks fabulous!!! It's so feminine...I love it.
    I am currently working a dress myself. I'm using a BurdaStyle pattern for the bodice but the skirt will be a maxi. It will be my first dress ever. I am teaching myself how to sew. Wish me luck ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful dress, it's super feminine and quite unusual at the same time! You look really good in that purple colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning dress! I love the sumptuous colour and the collar is just gorgeous! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! I love the color. It really suits you. And I can't believe you drafted most of it! Good idea on using the scalloped neckline. It really works with this style of dress. The dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lovely dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. fab! i love the neck detail and the lining, lovely colour too well done!!

    fashbrickroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, thank you all so much for your comments. They mean the world to me!

    Andrea - that's interesting about working alone, maybe it literally is down to individual preference and not whether you have siblings or not!?!

    Casey - I can't thank you enough for sharing such great tutorials!

    Nikell - Good Luck!!! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it - it looks great :) Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marie, I truly adore your fabric selection. I think it's perfect, and your collar! It really adds to the dress. And the inside? It's so neat! It almost looks reversible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did an awesome job!!! The dress is absolutely stunning and that color looks great on you!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Love the colour and the details!

    ReplyDelete
  23. aww this is so incredible! I love it! I really hope I can one day make something this good! You are such an inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete